Sunday, July 26, 2009

BEAUFORT ROAD RACE 10K


Date: 7/18/09

Distance: 10K

Time: 42:02

Place: 11th

Pace: 6:46




I was either going to enter this race or a 10M race in Wilmington called Summer of Love and since Ashleigh's friends were going to stay the weekend at Atlantic Beach I decided on the 10K in Beaufort.

The morning started out very early waking at 4:30am and grabbing something quick to eat consisting of granola,sliced banana, orange juice and a cup of coffee.At 5:00am me Ashleigh and Calla left to be at the race site around ~7:00am.



When we arrived at the race site I went to grab my packet and prepared for the race. It was actually cooler this morning than the previous few days but still hot and humid so I knew I had better drink water and some Gatorade before the run.



At the start both 5K and 10K races were together so I picked a place up front on the far left. This position was ok but I knew I had to move toward the center because there were cars parked on the left. So when the race started I had to go out hard and move toward the center.So I can say that I had the lead for at least 15 secs.



At the first mile I was at a 6:08 pace and knew I needed to slow down some. By the second mile I was passed by couple guys one who was pushing a BOB....very impressive. There were couple of people in the neighborhood out with water hoses to cool down the runners as we passed by which was surely needed. I stopped at two aid stations for water to ingest and to pour on my head to keep cool.



Mile 3 I started to pick up my pace some and finally caught the guy pushing the BOB I looked down and waved at the kid who was smiling and just having a great time. The last mile was on the water front and I tried to push harder as I could hear people cheering on the people finishing ahead of me. In the end,I finished in 11th place and placed 1st in my age group.

My next running adventure will take place in Spruce Pine,NC Springmaid Splash 10K.This is going to be a fun race.



No comments:

Post a Comment